EdStat: One Percent of Students Offered Admission to Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology Next Fall are from Low-Income Families

Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology sits in Fairfax County, where 80 percent of its students live (the other 20 percent are from adjacent districts). Some 29 percent of students in Fairfax County Public Schools are from low-income families, compared to just 1 percent of students offered admission to TJ next fall. But how is it that a school system that created and sustains a school like TJ has so far failed to close the excellence gap? To learn more, read the full article, “A Stubborn Excellence Gap.”

—Education Next

Last Updated


Notify Me When Education Next

Posts a Big Story

Business + Editorial Office

Program on Education Policy and Governance
Harvard Kennedy School
79 JFK Street, Cambridge, MA 02138
Phone (617) 496-5488
Fax (617) 496-4428
Email Education_Next@hks.harvard.edu

For subscription service to the printed journal
Phone (617) 496-5488
Email subscriptions@educationnext.org

Copyright © 2024 President & Fellows of Harvard College